Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Missed Thunderstorm

The weather is a wonderful thing. it makes or breaks my day. it's always a surprise, complements of the daily weather man who gets paid to be consistently wrong. Thunderstorms are the best kind of weather. a good thunderstorm can make my day in a flash (hardy har). so it's a sad, sad day when I cannot enjoy a thunderstorm when it happens.

Yesterday was a sad, sad day. I was at work, which was enough of a bummer all by itself to make it a sad day. but to make it a sad, sad day...you need an extra dose of "bummer". and my happy little Raincloud of Doom was all too glad to bestow it upon me in the harshest of ways.

I was at work, as previously mentioned, doing me best to stay awake, sane, happy, helpful, respectful, and somehow look like I had a clue what I was doing. I pretty much felt the opposite already, but then people started coming into the store with little dark polka dots all over there clothes, which could only mean two things: either the fashion sense of the entire city had just gone down the tubes, or it was raining.

Blast!

It was bad enough being stuck inside at all while trying to please three hundred people at once, but to be stuck inside while it was raining was hard to handle. But I was able to get over it, after a long internal battle and some pretty severe inward grumbling.

then I heard a low rumble. No! this was too much. a little rain, I could handle. a thunderstorm? Oh please, no. Thunderstorms only come around every now and again, especially during this time of the year. and even during storm season, it seems like thunderstorms and pretty much anything cool avoids me like bubonic plague.

Store customers were coming in, holding newspapers, purses, and pretty much whatever they were holding at the time above their heads in a feeble effort to stay dry. one such lady, not seeing that I was on the brink of a mental meltdown, approached me and said, "Hey, have you seen the storm outside?"

I looked at her and said, "Um, no. I'm in here, stupid." well, maybe that's what I wanted to say, but I think what actually came out of my mouth was more of a, "Why, no, my dear lady. Is it a pretty sight?" she muttered something incoherent and walked off. whatever.

So it's nearing the end of my shift, and I was so, so excited to be done and go outside and enjoy the remains of my mangled Tuesday and the rest of the thunderstorm, when somebody comes in and says casually, "It's not raining anymore and the sun is out." I ask you, why do these people make it a point to go out of there way to tell me something that will shred whatever was left of my happiness? Some things will always be a mystery...like why people rant and rave when they don't get a 10 cent coupon...c'mon people, it's a dime. you find them in the street every day. get over it!

No comments: